Saturday 7 October 2017

Mini break to Budapest | Day 1

Just one week ago now I flew home from the beautiful city of Budapest! To be completely honest, up until a few months ago Budapest wouldn't have even been on my list of places I wanted to visit, but after seeing the city in an episode of Travel Man with Richard Ayoade, my boyfriend and I were dying to visit! (Btw if you love travel and have never watched Travel Man before, I'd highly recommend it, not only is it hilarious it'll also give you all of the travel goals - you can catch up on All 4 here!)

We set about to find the perfect Airbnb and booked our flights. As Budapest is just starting to become a popular destination for us Brits, the prices are still super cheap for flights and accommodation - making it even more appealing and a much more affordable option than traditional city breaks, such as Paris.

When searching for an apartment to stay in, something kept bringing me back to the same one. It was a little bit quirky, but spacious, light and airy - perfect. It certainly didn't disappoint in real life either!




Our apartment was based in the 'Pest' side of the city, which is definitely the best side of the river to stay. The majority of the city attractions lie in Pest, whereas Buda is more historical and traditional. Located in walking distance from all the main attractions, and just a 2 minute walk to a main tram line, it really was the perfect base to stay in. (If you're curious I've linked the apartment here.)

After landing quite late in the afternoon, we were both really excited to get out and explore. I'd tracked down a cool Pizza bar on TripAdvisor before we left, which was literally two streets away from our apartment. So we set off there, both full of holiday excitement and very hungry!

As soon as we walked in we had our first - of many - dog spot of the trip, such a little cutie. Budapest is SO dog friendly - another reason that makes it a great city!



Pizzica is a really cool concept, they let you choose your pizza by slice, so you can try as many different toppings as you fancy. They then pop it into a stone pizza oven and serve it on the classic hipster wooden board. Will plates in restaurants soon be 'vintage' - who knows!

High on carbs and cheese, we were dying to explore! I suggested to Lewis it'd be nice to see the river by night, as I'd seen some stunning photos of the Danube River at night and couldn't wait to see it for myself. We dropped a pin randomly on Google maps and ended up stood directly opposite the stunning Chain Bridge.



The view along the river Danube at night is definitely one to add to the bucket list, it looks like something out of a fairytale. It was the perfect way to spend our first night, and made me so excited to explore the city over the next few days.

I'll be posting the rest of our Budapest adventure over the next week or so, so keep your eyes peeled to see what else we got up to! If you have any questions about planning a Budapest trip, leave them in the comments :)
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I have just read about Day 1 in Budapest :)
    Love that you mention seeing the Travel Man episode! (I’m sure we must have spoken about it before?!) The show is a great way of getting a flavour of what a break would feel like in these cities. A very engaging post, I really enjoyed reading it! Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it lovely! I don't think we ever have discussed Travel Man before, I love that sow so so much!! xxx

      Delete
    2. We do too! Have never missed an episode xxx

      Delete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig