Monday 30 October 2017

Mini Break to Budapest | Day 3

Day 3 of our Budapest adventure was possibly my favourite! Read on to find out why...

We'd seen on the same episode of Travelman - which btw is back with new episodes, so go check it out! - that Richard and Aisling had been on a chairlift which overlooked the entire city. 

Situated high up in the Buda hills it's such a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. I'm quite a nature person at heart so it was really nice to be surrounded by trees again for a little while! 

Getting to the chairlift proved a little more difficult than we realised... for some reason my Google maps suggested getting a few trams across the city, then catching the Cogwheel Railway - a really steep railway route which gradually climbs the Buda Hills peacefully. What it didn't tell us, is that once we'd got off the trains, after about an hour, we were still a 50 minute walk from the chairlift, and boy what a walk it was! Now, I'd class myself as someone that enjoys a walk, but I was NOT prepared for this. 

Google maps took us down the steepest, cobbled alleyways which snaked through a random residential area for about 40 minutes, before we finally had to walk down a steep main road which eventually ended right outside the chairlift station. Phew.

To say I was relieved to finally get there was an understatement, and although I was more than a little bit unimpressed by the walk - sorry, Lewis - it was 100% worth it for the incredible views we got on the chairlift. I mean just... 


Possibly not one for those scared of heights, as you're literally precariously hanging from a length of wire. Going on these sort of attractions abroad always makes you realise how OTT we are with health and safety in our country, the approach is SO much more relaxed in Europe. We weren't really secured in at all... adds to the thrill though, I guess?

After a very outdoorsy morning spent up in the beautiful Buda hills, we headed back into the city centre in search of something sweet! 


Self-described as 'The Most Beautiful Café in the World', the New York Café certainly lives up to that. The interior is absolutely incredible, you feel as if you've stepped foot into the Ritz and been transported back to London. As we arrived there was quite a long queue, but don't let that put you off. The queue snaked all the way to the front door, but we only ended up waiting about 10/15 minutes for our table.



As we sat down, I soon realised the music I could hear playing was coming from a live piano, and glanced upwards to see a man playing on one of the balconies. At one point he played 'Beauty and The Beast' and it was so perfect I could've cried - yes, i'm an emotional wreck most of the time.

We decided to go all out and ordered three desserts between us to share - if you can't when you're on holiday, then when can you? Naturally, I couldn't resist the pink prosecco.


It was honestly such a special experience and one to remember. It was probably one of the highlights of the trip for me, so if you're going to Budapest you HAVE to go. 

High on sugar we popped back to our apartment to sleep off all the cake with a cheeky nap, before heading out to explore again in the evening.


We actually ate at the most incredible mexican restaurant this evening, but sadly I was so over-excited and hungry - mexican food is my thing and i've made it my personal goal to try a mexican restaurant everywhere I travel - that I forgot to take any photos! 
It's called Iguana though if you want to check it out, and the food is delicious.

After eating our weight in Mexican food, we headed across 'Pest to visit the famous Ruin Bars. Ruin Bars have popped up all over Budapest, occupying old abandoned buildings and are basically very run-down warehouses full of random decorations with seating scattered around. It kind of felt like a huge, slightly odd and twisted playground for adults.

We went to Szimpla Kert which is one of the most famous and largest Ruin Bars in Budapest. Wandering around the bar, exploring the different rooms and seating areas was really interesting and definitely something to experience.



Up to this point we'd explored most of what 'Pest has to offer, so in my next post I'll be sharing the main attractions in Buda which we explored on the very last day of our trip. Let me know in the comments if you've ever been to Budapest, I'd love to read your posts too!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig